Monday, January 9, 2017

Personal Reading Profile

I love to read and I've made my goal for this year 75 books. Last year I did not read enough books to suit me, so hopefully I can reach this goal. I don't really have a favorite genre, I kind of read all over the place. If someone tells me a book is good, I will typically give it a shot. Probably the genres I am least likely to pick up on my own are mysteries, nonfiction, or chick lit, but there have definitely been exceptions. Currently, I am reading Something Borrowed for this class. I am involved in just one book club, but hopefully when I have more time, I will join more. An entire wall of my house is dedicated to books, stacked two deep and piled on top of one another. Going off of Ms. Cataldi's example, here are a couple of lists:

* Top 5 books I read in 2016 were (in no particular order):
1. Up From the Sea- Leza Lowitz (a young adult novel written in prose telling the story of a teenage boy who survives Japan's 2011 earthquake and tsunami).
2. The War That Saved My Life- Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (this children's book tells the story of foster children during World War 2; it is a lot better than it sounds!)
3. Where Things Come Back- John Corey Whaley (another young adult novel; this one centers around a boy whose brother goes missing and ultimately how we are all connected)
4. Landline- Rainbow Rowell (by far my favorite Rainbow Rowell book; a married couple facing troubles uses the past to reconnect).
5. Room- Emma Donaghue (the movie was okay, but the book is captivating, mostly because it is told entirely from a little boy's perspective)

* My Top 5 ALL TIME FAVORITE Books/Series (if I'm forced to choose):
1. Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
2. Tess of the d'Urbervilles- Thomas Hardy
3. Water for Elephants- Sara Gruen
4. Harry Potter series- J. K. Rowling
5. 1984- George Orwell


Here is a link to my personal reading profile via Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6859622-melissa

       

5 comments:

  1. Landline made my list too! Water for Elephants and The War that Saved my Life are big players on my to-read list! Enjoyed reading your profile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! 75 books is quite impressive-- good luck. Having experience reading books across genres is an excellent trait for a librarian and especially for this class. Since you mentioned a few genres in particular you would not normally select on your own, I'm assuming you chose at least one of them for your 5 genre picks this semester. I look forward to reading your book annotations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I can hit that goal, I fell a little short in 2016. I did choose to read a Chick Lit novel for one of my genres. I actually just finished it last night and it wasn't half bad.

      Delete
  3. Melissa,

    Your list just reminded me of more of my favorite books that I left off of my reading profile! How could I forget my love for the Bronte sisters!? 75 books is a lot! Depending on the genre I could probably hit that number but as I'm slowly but surely making my way through the Outlander series (they are pretty thick, slower paced books the further you get in the series) it can take me a month to get through one. I'm going to step a little out of my comfort zone this semester because I don't read a lot of adult books - I work with kids, I tend to stick to juvenile and YA.

    I'm also very envious of your wall of books - half my collection is with my parents boxed up in Florida and I haven't had the space to bring up all my childhood stuff. I don't buy a lot of books at the moment as much as I'd like to because 1) tiny apartment, 2) I have been moving around a lot the past couple of years. So the library has been my best friend when it comes to reading. I can't wait to settle down and build a personal library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reading profile! I'm seeing Landline come up on a lot of blogs as a favorite. I read an ARC two years ago but I don't really remember it. I may have to give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete